March 2, 2011

Life Skills from School

Whenever my friends or family ask me why I love gardening or crafts, I can only answer truthfully that I was influenced by my elementary school teacher. Part of our lessons then were planting bermuda grass on the school grounds and other flowers and we were each assigned a partner and a plot of soil to work on. My partner and I almost always were given the top prize. In sewing class, I can still remember that we were taught to make our own lab coats in preparation for our high school biology. Our lab coats then were not as chic looking as scrubs now, but it was well worth it because we wore it proudly! I learned how to use the sewing machine in school and since we don't have one at home where I have to finish my project, I learned to sew beautifully by hand as well. There are other craft works that I can still remember now like the copper money tree and the soap carving decors and I wish that my kids are also able to learn life skills from school. I know that I can make them a lab coat if absolutely necessary and I can teach them to make one too! It does not matter that I know where I can buy, but it does matter to me that I know that I can make them. I am thankful for those teachers who taught me life skills that I am still finding very useful until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment